Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

First: My Review


The new web series First should quiet those who constantly complain about the lack of black love in the media. The show produced by web series queen Issa Rae details the love story of Charles and Robin, two childhood friends who reconnect as adults and begin dating. I just saw the inaugural episode, and it was fantastic.  I liked the way we were given some history on the characters by first reflecting back on their childhood years. This sets up the present where Charles and Robin go on their first date and while en route to their destination Robin teases Charles about the a girl he used to mess around with when they were kids not knowing that the whole time he was really interested in her.

Jahmela Biggs who plays Robin is also the creator and writer of the show. I like the premise and so far the chemistry between her and Will Catlett who plays Charles is enough to make me continue to tune in. This show has been described as a modern day Love Jones , and even though that is a worthwhile comparison, I feel the show has what it takes to succeed on its own merits without being perceived as Love Jones 2.0.

You can watch the series by subscribing to Issa Rae's You Tube channel.  Let me know what you think in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment