Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscars 2014 : My Recap




As a moviegoer I always watch the Oscars, but this year it felt different. A lot of it has to do with having seen a lot of the movies nominated, the whirlwind known as Lupita,  a tight Best Actor and Best Picture race, and all things Jared Leto.

The movies that came out last year were unbelievably good. 12 Years A Slave took me on a journey that was depressing and dark, but it was a story that needed to be told. Is it a movie I would want to see again? A few months ago, I would have said no, but now I would change that to a maybe. I feared that the Academy's demographic would not see the film or would find it too graphic and in your face to award it Best Picture. They did not give the honor of Best Director to Steve McQueen, but the film did win the highest honor of the night which was well deserved and for Best Adapted Screenplay. Giving the Best Picture Award to American Hustle would have been a joke because let's face it even though the cast was stellar, the story was a miss. Gravity was a beautiful film, but it did not carry the emotional weight of 12 Years and these two films were 12 Years biggest competition during awards season.

The Best Supporting Actress category had me on edge due to the juggernaut known as Jennifer Lawrence. Yes Lupita won the majority of awards going into the Oscars, but Jennifer won some major ones as well including the BAFTA and Golden Globe. Lovely Lupita did win though, and I was beyond happy. She is a class act and her performance in 12 Years was mind blowing. Lupita has what it takes to go far, and I hope that casting directors are taking note of what she can bring to a film. With her beauty I would also like to see Lupita land a contract with a cosmetics company or design house which would boost her brand even more.

Cate Blanchett's win for Blue Jasmine was not surprising because her performance in that film was fabulous. I highly recommend that you rent Blue Jasmine if you have not seen it. Jasmine is not the most likable character, but Cate did an amazing job as did Sally Hawkins who plays Jasmine's sister Ginger in the movie. Sally was also nominated for her performance.

I do feel like a major slacker because I still have not seen Dallas Buyer's Club which is the movie that won Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto their first Oscars. I have been a big fan of Matt's ever since A Time To Kill,  and I love that he is getting recognized as a character actor after going the rom com route. Now I am not knocking rom coms, but most have no depth. There are very few exceptions (When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman) that do, but most are fluffy and cute. Matt's over being fluffy and cute, and that's fine with me. If you can do more, do it. If you are limited as an actor, stick to what you know. 

Jared Leto on the other hand is one of those guys I had heard of, but never really paid much attention to. Basically all I knew about him was that he was once engaged to Cameron Diaz and was on that show My So Called Life. Now that Jared has won the Oscar, here's hoping he is not going to take another 6 year break from acting. Not only is he a talented actor and musician, but gorgeous and seemingly humble and together. Plus any guy who would go the lengths he goes to for parts (gaining over 60 lbs for Chapter 27 and losing 40 for DBH) is an actor worth respecting. I can't wait to see what he does next!

I cannot finish my post without giving a shout out to P!nk and Pharrell who both performed on the show last night and Ellen DeGeneres who gets my vote as Best Host. Anyone who would order pizza for the audience and take a selfie with the celebs is someone whom the producers should want to host the Oscars again next year. She made what was a very long evening into an enjoyable experience. Good job Ellen!

The selfie that broke records

No comments:

Post a Comment